What is in my backpack?

I am BEYOND excited to be heading to my next adventure in the Tetons. I will be backpacking the Teton Crest Trail for the second time. It is a dream come true!


As I was packing up my bag I thought it would be fun to give a quick little recap of what I take backpacking and why. 

Don't get me wrong, I AM NOT the most experienced backpacker, but lucky for me, all of my siblings are and they have helped me to learn for myself what is good to bring and what not to bring. 

My list:

  *Packs come in either an external or internal frame. They have different pros and cons that kind of depend on your personal preference and what type of backpacking you are doing. This link is to an article that helped me better understand the differences. http://outdoors.campmor.com/internal-vs-external-frame-backpack/ . I personally have liked the external frame for my trips. It has easy to access outside pockets and areas that are easy to attach items like tent, sleeping bag, tripod etc. 
  * Internal packs are better for airplane carry on/out of country backpacking


   * I have only ever used Merrell's because I have had nothing but good experiences in them. There are other wonderful hiking boot options, but if you are on a budget and need extra comfort, Merrell is the way to go. 


  * BREAK THESE IN. I would recommend at least having 5-8 miles in them before taking them with you backpacking. If you do not break them in it is BLISTER CITY. Once they are completely broken in, they are AMAZING. They are by far the best water shoe and a wonderful to switch out with your hiking boots on long backpacking trips. 
  * Sometimes, you can find these and other great gear for a discounted price on sierratradingpost.com
  * I also REALLY love Teva's. These don't have to be broken in and they are super light weight. The only down side I have come across with this style of sandal is that while using these as water shoes, sometimes my toes come out of the top strap. 



  * This stove is awesome. It is so small and light weight you hardly notice that it is there. When I first used it, I was VERY new to the whole backpacking thing. It was easy to use and heats up water quickly. Make sure to bring lots of matches

  * I have slept on a LOT of different sleeping pads in my life. THIS ONE IS THE VERY BEST. I love it so much. I am always comfortable, and it is so tiny and easy to carry.

  * A Simple fleece jacket is a MUST for any high elevation backpacking trip. You can pretty much guarantee that anywhere above 8000 ft is going to be chilly at night and nothing ruins a backpacking trip like long cold sleepless nights. 

- Mountain Smith Hip Bag
  * You guys. This bag is AMAZING. I don't know about you, but I HATE getting a sweaty back and having sore shoulders and this bag helps so much to prevent that. It is also very convenient for easy access to water, food, camera gear etc. There are two water bottle pockets on the side as well as a small camel back pouch on the back. The hip straps are very adjustable and the bag comes with two other carrying options as well. Mountain Smith makes super durable gear. I have zero complaints!

  * This is not the most convenient water bottle to carry on a long trip (because it is heavy), BUT it keeps your water ice cold. I Loved having this for my trip to Havasupai in the middle of July. 

- Camel back 
- Paracord
- Rain Jacket
- Down sleeping bag
- Jet boil fuel
- Lots of thick socks
- light weight shirts
- Thermals
- Warm Hat
- Wipes
- Ibuprofen
- Blister care pack
- Water Filter
- Toiletries
- Food bag that can be hung in a tree to protect you from bears/other wildlife and to protect your food from small animals

And of course I take my Canon 5D Mark ii and Gopro everywhere I go with the needed equipment. 

I hope this was helpful!!

xoxo

Morgan



Comments