Grandeur Peak Review

The truth is, when I write these knowing that I am probably the only one that will end up reading it. But who knows right?



I just wanted to throw up a quick review about a recent hike that I completed in case any of you out there want to try it some day. I have also inserted an experience I had while on the trail. 


First half of the blog post is the story, the second is the hike review. 


"Funny miracle happened to me today. Here's the story. I made the stupid choice to hike to a peak just outside of Salt Lake City Utah. It has a 3,000 ft elevation gain, is alllll in the burning sun AND I have had a bum knee for about 3 weeks now (not sure how I injured it.. probably something similar to thisπŸ˜‚) OH. And I was wearing sandals. πŸ‘
About half way up, I could hear God's Spirit saying this to me. "You know you already have a hurt knee... and the farther you go up = the farther you have to go down. You are also wearing sandals..." But being the all or nothing person that I am I quietly dismissed the warning and though "BUT I HAVE TO FINISH! I CAN'T JUST TURN AROUND"
Well, I got to the top and rejoiced in the beautiful view (pictures do no justice) when the time came to Head back down I could reallllly feel it in my knees...and then my feet! THE WORST. BLISTERS 😭 long story short I went as far as I could with my shoes, then took them off because it didn't hurt as much to just hike bare foot. After a couple of miles of that, I just sat on the ground and reviewed my options: Finish the hike with very sore feet. I sat there for probably 20 minutes just hating my decision to finish the death trail. All I could think I was "ouch. Death to the knees! Death to the knees! I'm never going to walk again" hahahaha oh man. 
Anyways, after siting there for a while I said a prayer. "Heavenly Father. I need you help to get down this mountain. I'm in too much pain" after that I had the thought to put my shoes back on. IT WAS A MIRACLE! some how some way after putting my shoes back on, I felt NO PAIN. I RAN down the rest of the way. GOD IS IN THE LITTLE THINGS PEOPLE.
I love him so much ❤️️and I'm grateful that he loves me even after experiences like these 😏"



The Hike is Grandeur Peak just outside of SLC, Utah. All Trails (the best hiking app ever. If you don't have it already you should download it) let me know that it is a 4.8 mile loop with a 3,313 ft elevation gain and is rated as Hard. Being the amateur hiker that I am, I decided to try it at 1:00pm. (very stupid choice)

The trail is straight up all of the way, so if that is what you are looking for, this is the hike for you!
Bring lots and lots of water. There is little shade to be found. If you go in the summer months, you will have the opportunity to hike past a whole mountain side of wild flowers. That truly was beautiful.

At the top you are gifted the amazing sight of the salt lake valley and the mountainous backcountry of the Mount Olympus Wilderness. Although I found the hike to be extremely difficult, the view was very rewarding. 

If you're in Utah, attempt this challenging hike at least once! You will feel unstoppable! 

xoxo

Morgan

Comments